Are you using too many words to say the same old thing using a bunch of fewer words than you think?
Besides that sentence, here are other examples of weak, wordy sentences and their stronger cousins:
Weaker: At this point in time, it would be good if more people who live here chose to slow down and stop speeding all the time.
Stronger: More people need to slow down and stop speeding.
Weaker: During Beyonce’s Super Bowl halftime show, more than a few people decided it was time to dance, sing and rock along with the singing star.
Stronger: Fans danced, sang and had a rockin’ good time during Beyonce’s Super Bowl halftime show.
Weak Words to Avoid
- a lot
- Feel: I feel the government should end mail delivery on Saturdays.
- A lot: A lot of people should stop speeding.
- Just: He’s just worried about how he looks.
- The government should end mail delivery on Saturdays.
- People should stop speeding.
- He’s worried about how he looks.
So remember to proofread for wordy sentences and weak words, then edit, edit, edit!